www.flickr.com
Algape's photos More of Algape's photos
} -->

A mildy interesting account of things in the life of someone who used to pretend to be a student.

Friday, May 19, 2006

No, I'm not only doing it so I can wear a vest!

It's raining outside. I need to go shopping for Lithuania, but instead I'll write some drivel.

Today's topic, Australian Rules Football. This glamourous sport has recently become my new obsession, so much so that I've even had dreams about playing it (that can't necessarily be good). Basically, for years it ranked alongside ice hockey as the sport I really wanted to play but never had the oppertunity to (althoguh I got to play ice hockey at uni). So imagine my childish delight as I walked past Oz Bar in Old Town and noticed a poster on the window advertising the Edinburgh aussie rules team, who were recruiting new players!

For those of you not in the know, Aussie Rules (or Aussie-no-rules as some would say), is a bit of a cross between rugby, gaelic football and wrestling. It's played on a huge oval (up to 200m long), with 18 players each team and the aim is to get the ball between some posts at the end of the pitch. You're not allowed to throw the ball, so you either have to kick it or punch it from your hands, which results in fast fluid play if you're a professional, or lots of rolling around on the ground with six others trying to punch the ball to someone if you're us.

Anyway, so far we've had 2 wins out of 2 this season (Go you Bloods!) and we generalyl kick arse. So far I've staved 4 fingers, whilst the other 6 sit and count their blessing as they know its only a matter of time before it's their turn. I've ripped the skin of my knee entirely, which has led to some nice scarring and I love it! Its so much fun to learn a new sport I don't really know anof the rules for! It's also been really cool to get to know some Aussies and find out what it's like being a backpaker in Edinburgh. And it's probably going to be the biggest thing I miss when I'm in Lithuania.

By the way, I realise that this post is rubbish of the highest quality. I apologise. I really wanted to write a good post about aussie rules, and it had been ages since I wrote last, but for some reason today I just couldn't find the words. Maybe the rain outside is depressing me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I read your post, then I click through to Chantay's sister's blog... and look what she's talking about! HAHA - how bizarre...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

So why in the world does Merseyside not have rinks? Rubbish! That makes me excited to be in Newcastle! :)

I will have to watch ya'll play this new sport next year... :)

Anonymous said...

Newcastle only has an arena Christy, but you can skate out at Whitley Bay which has the nastiest dumpiest rink I have ever seen with pigeons living in the roof and scary locals.

Anonymous said...

an arena sounds hood :) we have the same definition of arena don't we? indoor? lots of ice? nice?

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»